Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Sepet - KY's movie review

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Went to watch Sepet at Pyramid with a group of friends including Faggot, Galvin, Dree, Radiance, Elaine, and Jason. The sound system at the theater sucks, I still favor Summit's theaters.

If I were to pick a single movie to exercise my linguistic ability, it'll have to be Sepet. All the 5 langauges in my arsenal were delivered in the movie, for this alone makes the movie truely Malaysian. Btw, they are English, Malay, Mandarin, Cantonese, and Hokkien.

The flick showed a microcosm of our culture, the issues of racial divide/inequalities, friendship, love, and even a hint of sex.

Enough of the boring "review" I attempted, now lets check out the highlights:
Excerpt:
Mak Enom - "Orked got the scholarship even though she had only 5As"
Kak Yam - "Jason got 7As ... (censored)
Substitute "censored" with "and yet he did not get a scholarship". The board apparently decided that Malaysian can't handle the truth.

There were a few other scenes that were censored. A lenghty discussion about racial stereotypes was cut short, and the scene of Pak Atan dropping his sarong to reveal his old school underwear. While I do not condone censorship, the latter act by the censoring board was somewhat of a blessing as it reminds me of Masud.

The ending, in my opinion, was somewhat of a dissapointment in the attempt to make the movie more artistic, symbolic, or perhaps both. As you know, I am a simple man, and I demand simple things, a steamy ending would have been preferred.

Anyhow, this is a good movie. I would definately check out the version as intended by the director when it is available.

KY-o-meter gives it a 7/10, and would probably bump up a point if not for the censorship.

|
Check out KY drives

If you have arrived at this page via search engine or other links. Please note that I have moved. Take a look at
kyspeaks.com



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?